Game Boy (Color) Dumping Guide
- 1 Dumping Methods
- 1.1 Retrode - GBx Plug-in
- 1.2 Transfer Pack - N64 - N64 Flashcart
- 1.3 Link Cable - Adapter/Mod - Raspberry Pi
- 1.4 Link Cable - Adapter - PC
- 1.5 GBC - Flashcart/Savemodded Cart - Audio Cable - PC
- 1.6 arduinogbdump
- 1.7 GBA-GB-ROMDumper
- 1.8 BennVenn Joey Joebags
- 1.9 BennVenn Joey Jr.
- 1.10 GBxCart RW
- 2 Gathering Dump Info
Retrode - GBx Plug-in
Transfer Pack - N64 - N64 Flashcart
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo 64 Transfer Pack
- Nintendo 64 Flashcart
- [todo] homebrew (e.g. agbd for 64drive, gb64 for everdrive)
Link Cable - Adapter/Mod - Raspberry Pi
Link Cable - Adapter - PC
GBC - Flashcart/Savemodded Cart - Audio Cable - PC
note: game boy pocket and super game boy may also allow hotswapping
BennVenn Joey Joebags
BennVenn Joey Jr.
Gathering Dump Info
Don't worry if you can't get all of the "physical metadata" (photos, serials and such) as the dump may still be accepted.
- CRC32: Generated from the ROM file using HxD or HashTab on windows, or by using crc32 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- MD5: As above, or by using md5 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-1: As above, or by using shasum -a 1 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-256: As above, or by using shasum -a 256 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- Game title: If it differs between different places (e.g. title screen, console menu banner, box, cart) then go with the one on the front of the box.
- ROM Region: The region found in the ROM data.
- ROM Revision: The revision found in the ROM data.
- ROM Serial: The four-character serial found in the ROM data, but seemingly only in newer GBC games.
- Languages/Language Select: Some games either show a language selection screen at startup or in the game options. Note that it is possible to submit a game without checking the languages, but this then needs to be stated in your submission.
- Tip: Using an emulator like bgb can speed up the language checking dramatically.
- Cart Serial: It is located on the label on the front of the cart the form of "DMG-XX-XXX" (where X is a letter or number), also it may have a number (Like -1 or -2) appended. For additional information on cartridge serials, see Understanding Serials.
- Box Barcode: The number on the case displayed beneath the vertical lines, see Barcode.
- Box Serial: The serial on the case. Example: [todo].
- Size: The size of the ROM in bytes.
- PCB serial(s): The string of characters displayed on the front of the board inside the cart. You may need a tri-wing screwdriver to get inside the cart without damaging the screw.
- Chip(s) serial(s): The codes on the ROM chip inside the cart.
- Scans: The following scans (or photos): Front and back of the following items - box, cart and PCB.