Game Boy (Color) Dumping Guide
todo: https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/4w8xjf/guide_how_to_backup_your_game_save_files/ sanni cart reader
Retrode - GBx Plug-in
Transfer Pack - N64 - N64 Flashcart
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo 64 Transfer Pack
- Nintendo 64 Flashcart
- [todo] homebrew (e.g. agbd for 64drive, gb64 for everdrive)
Link Cable - Adapter/Mod - Raspberry Pi
Link Cable - Adapter - PC
GBC - Flashcart/Savemodded Cart - Audio Cable - PC
note: game boy pocket and super game boy may also allow hotswapping
BennVenn Joey Joebags
BennVenn Joey Jr.
[todo - some info here https://www.gbxcart.com/ and here https://shop.insidegadgets.com/product/gbxcart-rw/]
Gathering Dump Info
Don't worry if you can't get all of the "physical metadata" (photos, serials and such) as the dump may still be accepted.
- CRC32: Generated from the ROM file using HxD or HashTab on windows, or by using crc32 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- MD5: As above, or by using md5 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-1: As above, or by using shasum -a 1 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-256: As above, or by using shasum -a 256 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- Game title: If it differs between different places (e.g. title screen, console menu banner, box, cart) then go with the one on the front of the box.
- ROM Region: The region found in the ROM data.
- ROM Revision: The revision found in the ROM data.
- ROM Serial: The four-character serial found in the ROM data, but seemingly only in newer GBC games.
- Languages/Language Select: Some games either show a language selection screen at startup or in the game options. Note that it is possible to submit a game without checking the languages, but this then needs to be stated in your submission.
- Tip: Using an emulator like bgb can speed up the language checking dramatically.
- Cart Serial: It is located on the label on the front of the cart the form of "DMG-XX-XXX" (where X is a letter or number), also it may have a number (Like -1 or -2) appended. For additional information on cartridge serials, see Understanding Serials.
- Box Barcode: The number on the case displayed beneath the vertical lines, see Barcode.
- Box Serial: The serial on the case. Example: [todo].
- Size: The size of the ROM in bytes.
- PCB serial(s): The string of characters displayed on the front of the board inside the cart. You may need a tri-wing screwdriver to get inside the cart without damaging the screw.
- Chip(s) serial(s): The codes on the ROM chip inside the cart.
- Scans: The following scans (or photos): Front and back of the following items - box, cart and PCB.
Submitting Dump Info
Register on the forum (if you aren't already registered) and once your account has been activated, post the info in the "New Dumps & Redumps" sub-forum.
Or if you have datter rights you can submit the dump info directly to the DAT-o-MATIC database.
Note: DAT-o-MATIC supports importing XMLs in this format directly: https://datomatic.no-intro.org/stuff/example_upload_custom.xml, although there isn't a proper specification (or tool to generate this format from folder(s)/file(s)) yet