Super Nintendo Entertainment System Dumping Guide
Here you'll find information on how to dump SNES/SFC carts, and what information should be gathered when sharing a successful dump.
hardware todo: Retrode, Super UFO Pro 8, old ones
Gathering Dump Info
A useful tool for calculating hashes and gather some of the information below is GameHeader
- CRC32: Generated from the ROM file using HxD or HashTab on windows, or by using crc32 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- MD5: As above, or by using md5 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-1: As above, or by using shasum -a 1 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- SHA-256: As above, or by using shasum -a 256 in a terminal emulator for linux/mac.
- Game title: If it differs between different places (e.g. title screen, console menu banner, box, cart) then go with the one on the front of the box.
- ROM Region: The region found in the ROM data. (Can be extracted using GameHeader)
- ROM Revision: The revision found in the ROM data. (Can be extracted using GameHeader)
- ROM Serial: The four-character serial found in the ROM data. (Can be extracted using GameHeader, if the header includes it)
- Languages/Language Select: Some games either show a language selection screen at startup or in the game options. Note that it is possible to submit a game without checking the languages, but this then needs to be stated in your submission.
- Cart Serial: It is located on the label on the front of the cart, for example: "SNS-MW-USA"
- Box Barcode: The number on the case displayed beneath the vertical lines, see Barcode.
- Box Serial: The serial on the case. Example: SNS P MW.
- Size: The size of the ROM in bytes.
- Chip(s) serial(s) (optional): The main serial on the ROM chip, for example: "SNS-MW-0".
- Scans: The following scans (or photos) would be good to have: Front and back of the following items - box, cart and PCB.
Submitting Info to No-Intro
If you have datter rights you can submit the dumpinfo using the "Submit" form in DAT-o-MATIC.
Otherwise post the info in the New Dumps & Redumps section of the forum.